I'm travelling into a new way of working, a new country, a new language, and a new hobby which I'm passionate about. Come with me for some of the journey...

Saturday 9 September 2017

A quick burst of birdsong

Hello all!  Apologies that I've been MIA again - there's a lot going on behind the crafting scenes at the moment (not to mention preparing for some high-pressure day-job workshops coming up).  All will be revealed in just a few days.

But so as not to leave the blog in complete silence, I'm offering up a quick burst of birdsong today.

There's nothing complicated about these tags.  In fact, they were the result of some joint experimentation with a friend at the craft table, demonstrating some of the differences between Distress Inks and Distress Oxides.  We did some wrinkle-free distressing on some other tags, but these two were the results of our blending and stamping efforts, with some spritzing and flicking too of course...


The colours were her choice - hence the slight departure from the normal palette around here! - but I ended up really enjoying them.  There's a sort of burnished rust and verdigris look which pleases me a lot.  The tag on the left is all Distress Inks, the one on the right is all Distress Oxides (until the very final inking around the edge, that is, and then it was DI on both).






The words are taken from my EAB02 Darkness and Light set.

The phrases are all part of one longer quote (as you can see if you take a look at the whole collection - it's the quote at the bottom of the plate).










But I've used different parts of the quote on each tag to create slightly different thoughts.

They're embossed with Ranger Antiquities Rust powder - which is quite cool up close.











There are things I enjoy about both tags... 

You can't get away from the delight of that Oxide stamping - with such presence and clarity.

Those rapturous birds are an Impression Obsession stamp.














But although the birds are subtler, I do love the translucence of the layered DIs - they have a special depth about them which always makes me happy.












So I'm not going to keep you for long, as you see.  Short and hopefully sweet today.









If I get my workshop planning done in good time tomorrow, I hope to spend some of my Sunday catching up with what you've all been getting up to in Craftyblogland... and if I get bogged down, the visiting will just have to wait a bit longer!

I hope you all have a lovely Sunday, and do come and visit early next week for some big news.  Happy crafting all!

I don't ask for the meaning of the song of a bird or the rising of the sun on a misty morning. There they are, and they are beautiful.
Pete Hamill

I'd like to enter this pair of tags at the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge where, in celebration of Stamptember, the challenge is simply to Stamp It!
Though there's only the tiniest bit of rust involved through that Rust embossing powder (well, and plenty of Rusty Hinge DI!), I'd like to share these in the Rustica theme at the That's Crafty Challenge Blog
And they're also feeling A Little Rusty over at Frilly and Funkie so I'm taking my tags to play along there too

41 comments:

Nikki Acton said...

A beautifully demonstration of the differences. Love that blue oxide stamping over your rusty backdrop! Good luck with the workshop preparation and here's to a good week! Nx

Helen said...

Love the tags, both of them! fantastic colours.

Meggymay said...

Two wonderful tags, it is good to see theme side by side to show the differences. I love this colour combination so autumnal.
Yvonne xx

Tracey@Hotchpotchcreations said...

So delicate in both design and wording, at times there needs not be anymore than just what it is. Looking forward to that *Big News* Alison. Enjoy the rest of your weekend.
Hugs & Best Wishes Tracey xx

Valerie-Jael said...

Gorgeous tag! Hugs, Valerie

Monika Gulyas said...

Beautiful tags Alison, but right now I prefer the DI tag :-) Have a great weekend! xx

Fliss said...

Really beautiful tags Alison and love both of the effects on them and of course the rusted quotes (that's the one I used on my rusty panel too) Te spritzing and flicking looks lovely too.
Thanks for joining in over at TC and wishing you lots of luck.
Fliss xx

Redanne said...

Two gorgeous tags Alison, the colours remind me of rust and patina (your friend made great colour choices), a wonderful combination - and the birds are delightful! Best of luck with all your prep, look forward to hearing more! Anne xx

Amanda said...

Fabulous examples of the distress ink pads both old and new. Excited to hear what you news is...........
love
Amanda x

pearshapedcrafting said...

I love these colours - a real look of Autumn mornings about them! Love the misty look you have created! Look forward to seeing what you are planning - if I get a decent connection! Hugs, Chrisx

My name is Erika. said...

Gorgeous tags!

Brenda Brown said...

Beautiful dipping, spritzing and stamping with wonderful effects xxx

brenda said...

Those colours are indeed pleasing Alison and also work very well for an Autumnal feel, it's a beautiful sentiment as well spread across the two.

B x

Andrea Small said...

Lovely! :-)
Andrea xx

Craftyfield said...

Lovely tags! I'm still experimenting with DOx and find that they have surprises in store. The paper you use them on has an effect on how they behave... I'm trying to get my head around that!

sarascloset said...

Alison, the results of your crafty play time with a friend yielded two of the most beautiful tags! Love that bird image and seeing it inked in oxides alongside the DI's, I'd say I prefer that. But both of your finished tags are lovely--the color combination takes my breath away! Great to see you participating in the A Little Rusty challenge at Frilly and Funkie!

Good luck with the planning and looking forward to your surprise! Hugs!

froebelsternchen said...

This are wonderful tags - absolutely stunning and UNIQUE!

Kay Wallace said...

I continue to lurk, for now, but I had to take just a moment to say that this artwork has moved me! Thank you.

Jackie PN said...

Gorgeous tags Alison!
Subtle differences,yes, but they are there and I can't help but loving the one done in Oxides- I am such a fan!
Hope your Sunday is a pleasant one!
Jackie xo

Corrie Herriman said...

Love them ! They might be simple but I think they are beautiful !
Corrie xx

Sandra said...

These tags are fabulous! love the color combo of the background and the pretty stamp on top. The sentiment is lovely. Thank you so much for joining us at Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge. Hugs, Sandra

Marci said...

Thanks for showing the differences in the Inks. Lovely tags.

Patty O'Malley said...

Wonderful tags! I need to break open and try my Distress Oxide Inks!

Kate Yetter said...

I am really loving the rich tones of these tags. The background is simple and elegant. Love it!
Kate

Lys said...

Lovely colours and a subtle rusty word finish, I love both tags!

Inky and Quirky Designs said...

Gorgeous tags Alison, they're powerful in all their muted glory. Oooh now I'm intrigued by your big news, can't wait to hear what it is :)
Hugs
Donna xx

Etsuko said...

Lovely tags and beautiful quote stamp. Thank you so much for stunning comment to the PaperArtsy to my project. I appreciate it very much. I'm so sorry that the response was lated. xx

Dorthe said...

Beautiful , they are both Alison, and even I love the effects of the Distresses Oxides, I don`t know which to love most !! Wonderful with the spritzing and flicking , and your putting together new sentiments with your fantastic quote stamps. They are gorgeous tags. Wonder what your news brings :-)
Hugs, Dorthe

maj. said...


Totally adorable!

Candy C said...

Hello! These tags are so pretty and yes, I can see the subtle differences. Wonderful post. I love your tags. You and I both have the same fetish for TEAL! :) Lovely work as always!

Cocofolies said...

Hi Alison, catching-up with your blogpost only now - but not regretting, these two tags are very beautiful and it's great to see the difference between DI and DO!-; -
It's a bit hard to be present on craftyblogland as like you, there's a lot going on behind the crafting scene at the moment for me.
Hope everything is going on well at your side!
Hugs, Corinne xx

SewPaperPaint said...

Don't you love how the oxides stamp over inky backgrounds? This is a beautiful, perfect example. Hugs, Autumn

Julie Lee said...

Beautiful tags, Alison. These colours with their little bird stamping are exquisite. I hope your workshops go well.xx

craftytrog said...

A lovely pair Alison! xx

Astrid Maclean said...

Fabulous tags, - both of them!

rachel said...

absolutely beautiful tags Alison - love this stamp - so beautiful xx

Sue said...

Beautiful tags Alison, I had a real play with my oxides at the weekend so I'm getting to like them more xx

Jenny Marples said...

A pair of beautiful tags Alison that really show off the stunning design of the trees. Love your choice of colours for them. Thank you for joining us at Frilly and Funkie xx

Gio said...

These are super lovely, Alison, I love the warm palette, and the delicate stamps. No need fussy stuff to make something beautiful, you are so talented!

Mrs.B said...

Great tags, it's great to see the comparison.
Avril xx

Hazel Agnew said...

I am slowing down these days. Apologies for not ommenting on these sooner Alison. They ease me so much. Something so satisfying about the combination of colours and images. Need to get the oxides out again! Xx 😜