I'm travelling into a new way of working, a new country, a new language, and a new hobby which I'm passionate about. Come with me for some of the journey...

Wednesday 17 February 2016

Reflection of a Dragonfly

Hello all.  I'm glad you enjoyed my Flourishing Floral extravaganza over at Calico.  It's nice to let my opulent side out every now and then.  Watch out for more similar lines as I make further inroads on my craft stash through the year!

Today it's time for some more background-focus with my second piece of inspiration for Sue's brilliant Make Your Own Background theme at Country View Challenges.  We're just over half way through, so there's still plenty of time to play along, and here's a pair of tags which may nudge you in to action.


I've been at the wrinkle free distress technique again - nothing I like better than smooshing and sweeping through the inky colours to create endless variations on a splotchy theme!  I almost always have enough ink on the craft mat for at least two tags, and so I often end up working in pairs.  This time I planned ahead sufficiently to have one tag already primed with gesso so that my two tags would end up with even more variation from one another.




It's a colour combination I fell in love with when Wilted Violet arrived in the world last year... so there's some of that, obviously, along with Ground Espresso and Stormy Sky.

The dark tag was the recipient of the first smoosh, then the gesso'd tag went next, then I carried on alternating, dabbing and drying, until all the ink was used up.  Simple!







From there, I just followed my fancy.   The dragonfly always makes me happy, so he's embossed in white over the darker inks...












... and embossed in Bark over the paler background.  Some powder got onto the ink which wasn't quite dry in places, but that's what embracing imperfection is all about.










I added my all-time favourite Idea-ology pieces, the Word Bands, mounted over some torn book page fragments and secured with fine twine as well as a blob or two of glue.













I added some complementary scribbling too - white over the dark, and dark over the light.













A few wooden buttons add an extra dimensional touch, and even a bit of extra texture in some cases.














Crinkle ribbon dyed with the same inky colours tops the tags off...














... tied with the same fine twine as the Word Bands to create another echo within each tag.















The aim was always to try to let those inky splotches take centre stage...















This is a Backgrounds challenge after all!

Very quick, but oh so pleasurable.  I hope they give you pleasure too, and that they'll inspire you to Make Your Own Background too, and come along and join us at Country View Challenges.











As always, there's a prize voucher from Country View Crafts on offer to a randomly drawn winner - but you've got to be in it to win it!







Thanks so much for stopping by today.  This is one of several scheduled posts which will be coming your way - some of them new projects, some of them "Encores" of pieces which made their first appearances elsewhere and are going to be brought in under the Words and Pictures roof over the next few weeks and months.

It's unclear how reliable my internet access is going to be on my travels, but I will be doing my best to keep up with you all when I can.  After all, without access to my craft desk I'll need to get my crafting hit somehow... I'm counting on Craftyblogland!

We cannot see our reflection in running water.  It is only in still water that we can see.
Taoist proverb

I'd like to make this my third and final entry into Stamps and Stencils challenge, Splatter, Spritz and Smoosh - I do enjoy doing all those things - but this one is principally smooshing!

62 comments:

Anke said...

Liebe Alison,

Deine Tags schauen wundervoll aus, unglaublich schön. Da kommt man ins Schwärmen *seufz*

Herzliche Grüße
von Anke

Helen said...

I love the dragonfly and really must use it more... your tags are beautiful!

sally said...

You are lucky I'm nowhere nearby as these just might have disappeared from your desk!


Sallyx

brenda said...

Totally gorgeous tags Alison. I had a little spend on new DI colours last week and after seeing the lovely hues of Wilted Violet on your tags have an urge to crack them open.

B x

Astrid Maclean said...

Fabulous backgrounds on both these beauties! Love this pair, they fit so well together yet make for a fab contrast! (Good to hear also that you've arrived safely)!

www.deeadamsart.blogspot.co.uk said...

Beautiful colours, my all-time favourite stamp, fantastic contrast, Love it!

Jenny Marples said...

Totally beautiful! Safe travels my friend. Enjoy the experiences. Jenny x

chrissie said...

Love the tags and great idea for the backgrounds.

The quote is terrific as well today

Hope things are going well for you-'Miss Adventure'

Love Chrissie xx

Monika Gulyas said...

Beautiful tags, Alison! I love both versions! The background colours look amazing too!

Lauren Hatwell said...

Perfection! Sighhhh... Happy trails. Lx

Jennie Atkinson said...

Absolutely stunning Alison - the colours, the swooshing, the embossing, the scribbling …… Just love them both. Jennie x

Marci said...

Beautiful tags! Wonderful backgrounds. I like the pairs idea. I bought that stamp set because of how you used it when I first saw your blog. Enjoy your journeys.




Jackie PN said...

How different each tag looks just with a bit of reverse in color! I love them both and yes, that Wilted Violet is just splendid! xoxo

Anita Houston The Artful Maven said...

I LOVE the lavender!!! LOVE both backgrounds so much! Stunning tags!

Candy C said...

Alison...your tags are awesome. Love your thought of reversing the color. It's amazing how that wrinkle free distress looks so different; just from the colors you used. Love that dragonfly stamp. You've really done such a lovely job with it on these tags. Thanks for sharing.

Terry said...

Two gorgeous tags, Alison! I love the color combination and you worked the wrinkle free distress beautifully! Hugs!

Dorthe said...

I love the embossed white dragonfly and words,- on top of your gorgeous background, Alison, also love all the "imperfect" which seems all perfect for me, and the pale tag so wonderful, too.
Gorgeous results from inking and splashing.
Hug from me,
Dorthe

sam21ski said...

Absolutely love your colours and you've used my all time favourite stamp too, what could be better xx

Kay Wallace said...

What an absolutely gorgeous stamp, Alison, and perfect for your tags! Love them both!

A Pink said...

Two real beauties ! Alison . I share your love of the WF Distress technique and found myself smiling as I read your post as I could relate to always having enough ink left over to 'double dip ' !!
Love how you've used the stamp on each tag and kept the embellishments simple so as not to take anything away from the gorgeous backgrounds - lush colour combo.

By now I'm sure you are well into your journey if not safe on terra firma . Don't be worrying too much about blog land juts enjoy your adventure - we'll still be here on your return eager to here all about it .
take care x

Julia Aston said...

You sure hava a knack for matching lovely colors together Alison! what beautiful backgrounds you created and I love the embossed stampings you used! Julia xx

Unknown said...

YUMMY YUMMY! I sooo love dragonflies!! These are just STUNNINGLY LOVELY Alison. What a fab background - oh... both are just WONDERFUL in every way. Love them. j.

Julie Lee said...

Fabulous colour combos on these Alison and what wonderfully splodgy backgrounds! It's a lovely thought that these two tags will be absolutely unique and that even if you tried you wouldn't be able to quite replicate those fantastic backgrounds. I can't wait for those long, lazy summer days when dragon flies dance. These tags made me long for Summer. I love the quote too, which goes perfectly xx

Dagmar said...

Your tags are so beautiful - i love them <3 You did a great Job!!!!! Hugs, Dagmar

Lys said...

Beautiful background here, I love this violet and you use it so wonderfully!

pearshapedcrafting said...

Oh My! What fabulous colour combination - I'll be giving that try! Both tags are gorgeous! Hugs, Chrisx

Craftyfield said...

Wilted Violet is on my wish list, such a clean colour! It works well with the espresso for this background full of interest.

maj. said...

Lovely tags Alison! Brilliant!

Margik said...

Gorgeous tags Alison! The backgrounds are absolutely stunning, and I love the combination of colours. Great proverb too.
Mar xx

Hazel Agnew said...

Love the wrinkle free distress method now too Alison....and Wilted Violet does excite me! Love the stamp! Great tags! X

Inky and Quirky Designs said...

Gorgeous and grungy Alison, a stunning pair of tags
Hugs
Donna xxx

Cec said...

Love this tag duo. The splotchy backgrounds are terrific and the scribbling is a need to steal idea :) The colour palette is gorgeous and I love the dragonflies taking centre stage. Thanks for joining us at Stamps and Stencils.
Hugs!
Cec

SewPaperPaint said...

I really loved reading about your process, Alison! I'm thrilled to see a dark and light stamped piece, both are amazing! The splotchiness really takes center stage, what a great design!

Meggymay said...

Two fantastic tags, the colour combination is beautiful. Enjoy your travels.
Yvonne xx

Vintagehandmade said...

Brilliant tag duo, Alison! Amazing colour combo and that scribbling is fantastic! Exquisite design! Love it! Thank you so much for joining us at Stamps and Stencils! Big hugs to you! Branka DT xxx

Pamellia said...

Wow, these are drop dead gorgeous Alison! I have to say how much I am loving the addition of Wilted Violet to the palette here, it just spruces up the tags with such a lovely springtime feeling!! Hope your week has gone well so far, just playing catch up today. hugs :)

sarascloset said...

Gorgeous tags, Alison, with use of some of my favorite colors! Love that simple embossing over these beautiful backgrounds! hugs!

Redanne said...

Totally stunning backgrounds, love the Wilted Violet look, even though I am not a fan of violet, both tags are gorgeous! Anne xx

Chrissy said...

Beautiful colours and a great way to use up inks Alison..I love the dragonfly stamp with all the textures of the button and metal tag added...superb.

luv CHRISSYxx

Corrie Herriman said...

Great background and great tags ! I played along too this month, fingers crossed eh ?
Corrie x

Kirsten said...

Beautiful tags, the backgrounds are fab.

froebelsternchen said...

Just fantastic those two! Absolutely unique Alison!
Happy weekend!

experiments in paper said...

You continue to astound me, Alison!! These tags - brilliant!! Love the colors, and how you've created the background. You've used one of my all time favorite stamps, and I LOVE the different treatments with them on the two backgrounds! WOW!! And hope your travels go smoothly! xxx Lynn

Deb said...

Absolutely glorious colour palette and backgrounds Alison, I just got some Wilted Violet DI and can't wait to give it an outing! Love your dragonfly duo, both colour ways are equally striking and beautiful. Thank you so much for sharing them, Deb xo

maria's knutselplezier said...

Your dragonfly tags, are really beautiful , I love the backgrounds very much, great colours ,designs and embellishments you have used!!!

Have fun!!
Maria

kezzyscraftyjourney.blogspot.com said...

Really love both outcomes, one of my favourite techniques purely because you get such random results. I haven't used the violet yet but have to admit it looks fab with the brown. Kezzy :-) xxx

Anneke said...

Beautiful tags. Lovely color combination . Thanks for inspiring me.
I'm going to give it a try. Thanks for your explanation.

Rika said...

THese are both besutiful!

Debi said...

stunning as always <3 love the violet colour blended with the sepia especially, Debi x

craftytrog said...

What a great colour combination! I love these beauties Alison! xx

Ruth said...

Wow, wow and wow! I LOVE that colour combination, wilted violet and espresso make for stunning tags...perfection! Ruth xx

Princess Judy Palmer said...

These are fabulous tags. I do like the darker one better but they work great as a pair. I love all that splotchy goodness! I'd like to learn to splotch without covering myself and random furniture in the process (and getting none on the project.

Dortesjs said...

beautiful pieces here waue

Paper Profusion said...

Absolutely beautiful! Love your backgrounds. Nicola x

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

I have always loved this stamp and you have used it to perfection. Happy crafting, Angela x

Etsuko said...

Beautiful tags and these colours combo too. It is fun to make idea Reflection. xx

Deborah Wainwright said...

Ooh she says drooling over these tags. I love the purple colour and with the brown it looks like a match made in heaven. So love these background as the inky splats and splodges are just magical. Fabulous hugs Debs xx

Mrs.B said...

Fabulous background on both tags. Love the contrasts.
Avril xx

Mrs.B said...

Fabulous background on both tags. Love the contrasts.
Avril xx

Barbara said...

This stamp is fantastic, absolutely a must have! your works with it are spectacular! i adore both your tags, background is totally amazing! Barbara

rachel said...

stunning tags alison - absolutely beautiful - both of them are gorgeous! Thanks for joining us at Stamps and stencils this month! Hugs rachel x

Cocofolies said...

Two more great tags, very unique and beautiful dear Alison.
I love the stamp you have featured so well here!.. and your backgrounds are totally fabulous.
It's not your usual colours, but the result is really gorgeous! :) xx