I'm travelling into a new way of working, a new country, a new language, and a new hobby which I'm passionate about. Come with me for some of the journey...

Wednesday 15 April 2015

Woodcuts ATC





Hello all, I'm celebrating the fantastic return of Calico Craft Parts again today.  (If you missed the Garden Tray, do check it out.)


Although Calico Crafts suffered a terrible fire last year and had to close down, I'm thrilled that this fantastic line of wood and MDF shapes is now available again, with a brand new website which you can find here.


This Woodcuts ATC was created for the Calico Crafts Design Team using some of the Calico Craft Parts designs, and I thought it was about time I added it to my crafty scrapbook here.


Please don't feel you have to comment again if you saw last time around!














The fabulous laser-cut MDF Wood Mini Plaques come in sheets, so you also get brilliantly useful "leftovers" - there's stencilling potential, or you could use the frames in all sorts of other ways too (and they're only £1.99 for a sheet - bargain!).














I'd had the idea to create a dimensional ATC - layering up the Mini Plaques onto a thick piece of card cut to 2.5 x 3.5 inches in size.  Fantastically, the new-look Calico Craft Parts includes a wide range of ATC blanks - including a plain one.  I'll definitely be stocking up on some of those great designs!
















I took six of the Mini Squares, and applied DecoArt One-Step Crackle to them.  Once it had done it's magic, I inked over the top to highlight the crackles.















The other plaques I used were the Primitive Stars...















... the Primitive Hearts...















... and the Ovals.
















I stuck them to an old book page with Mod Podge Matte from my little Mod Podge Starter Set.













When the glue was fully dry, I pressed down hard around the edges, and then used an emery board to trim away the excess paper.

You need always to stroke downwards with the emery board so as not to risk the edges of the paper getting caught and peeling up.












I inked the edges just for extra shading, and once I was happy with the layout I added a couple of Chitchat stickers to the ovals.














My base was just some thick card I had hanging around.  I covered it with pages from the same book as before, and used some Raw Umber paint to make the edges a rich dark brown to match the edges of the laser cut Craft Parts.

I won't have to do most of that now that I can just get one of the Calico Craft Parts ATC blanks to fit the bill!

So, a simple enough make, but I think the fantastic Craft Parts make it look pretty cool.  I hope you like it too.




Head over to Calico Craft Parts and check out these and many, many more designs now available... with new ones arriving all the time.  I'm so happy they're back!

Thanks so much for stopping by, and I'll see you again soon.

We all come in different shapes and sizes, and that's fine by me.
Kristin Scott Thomas

27 comments:

Anke said...

Wonderful ATCs, great idea.

Hugs
Anke

Jane said...

Oh wow these craft parts look fabulous....I love your gorgeous textured ATC x

massofhair said...

WONDERFUL ATC Alison, loving the dimension and the colours very much, great tip about the book page and the emery board. Have Pinned the new Calico site as i do love the wood shapes very much and they are not easy to find, especially the beautiful designs they have on their site :-) xxx

pearshapedcrafting said...

A definite 'cut above the rest' kind of ATC Alison! A fabulous set of vintage style treasures! Chrisx

froebelsternchen said...

What a fabulous idea! Tat looks great! Wow!

Jackie PN said...

Love the way you adhered the paper to the elements! And the crackle is divine Alison! What a great make- yay for Calico Crafts! xx

rachel said...

awesome ideas Alison - that crackle looks amazing and thanks for the emery board tip! Hope you enjoyed ally pally! Hugs rachel xx

Sue Marrazzo Fine Art said...

LOVE the look! Thanks for sharing this = )

Kay Wallace said...

Fantastic crackle to your wood pieces, Alison! Love your use of the emery board! Who knew?! Fantastic ATC, my friend!

Pamellia said...

Fabulous ATC Alison!! Love the newsprint against the crackled wood pieces and the emery board was a genius way to trim the pieces!! Love it! hugs :)

Dorthe said...

Alison, the ATC is wonderful, -so great with crackle and old papers on top- a lovely idea, and could hang like a tiny "painting"
Hugs from Dorthe

massofhair said...

Thank you for the info Alison :-) xxx

Kirsten said...

This is fantastic, I love the crackle.

Linda S. said...

I had a look at the Calico Craft Parts site, and still cannot figure out if they will ship to the United States. Do you know?

Redanne said...

Love the brilliant crackle, I must be doing something wrong as mine doesn't look that good! Off to check out those chunky ATCs at Calico... Anne xx

Meggymay said...

A fabulous project piece, the MDF shapes look great
Yvonne xx

Words and Pictures said...

Hi Linda,
I'm not sure, but I can certainly check for you, and will leave an answer here as soon as I know for sure.
Alison x

Terry said...

Alison, this is the most unique ATC I have seen! I can't believe how much interest in such a tiny space you have created. Love the crackle and all those wooden shapes! So cool!

Hettie said...

This is fabulous Alison. Love the look of your ATC.
Hugs
xx

Nan G said...

Fabulous ATC! Love the mini shapes. Good to hear Calico Crafts is back in business. I wish them all the best. Wish they were closer I'd be ordering up a storm. ;)

Alie Hoogenboezem-de Vries said...

Like the basic colours combined with the shapes and layers Alison!
Greetings, Alie :-)

Cocofolies said...

A very lovely ATC, and I love the way you have glued all the shapes and trimmed away the excess paper! Thank you for the tips and photos Alison! Also good to hear that Calico Crafts has reopened. Have a lovely day, bises Coco xx

Anita Houston The Artful Maven said...

LOVE this...as I have some cutouts like this, and now have an idea! SO DARN CUTE too!!!

Deb said...

Gorgeous dimensional ATC Alison, love all the book page elements you added and the chit chat stickers, just lovely!

sam21ski said...

Fab crackle xx

Ruth said...

Love these, love the crackle on brown...waiting for my first order to arrive, so pleased they are back! Ruth x

Mary Elizabeth said...

Isn't it fun with something so little can make such a big impact? This is adorable!!! Love the primitive shapes ... they take me back to days of being with my grandmother and her wonderful influence on my crafting. -- ME